Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Jesus Christ!

Too many times have I been greeted with a surprised smile along with the question "Are you Christian too?" when seen bowing my head in prayer before a meal, which is too often followed by a disappointed "Oh" when I reveal my Catholic identity.

It seems to be very common a misunderstanding here that the act of saying grace makes someone a follower of the Christian faith, when the truth is, I'd been reciting Grace Before Meal everyday over the seven years that I received education under the Roman Catholic school board in Toronto.

People get even more confused when I tell them I go to mass at a Christian church every now and then. Some even feel violated by my having accepted communion in a Christian church although I've never been baptized as Christian.

As far as I'm concerned, all that matters is that I believe in God. And as far as I know, this is the same God my Christian fellows believe in, whether they be Evangelical, Baptist or Evangelical Baptist. The little biscuit I received in the Christian church looked and tasted different from the ones I remember from Catholic churches, yes. But oh God, does it take an apostle to figure out that they essentially symbolize the same body of the same Christ, the only Christ?

No comments: